O Tidings of Comfort and Joy


Around here, it's been a little light on the comfort tidings. We've all been sick. Jackson had a double ear infection, Wyatt and Anna have had fevers, and bad cold with crusty eyes that were just so sad looking. And yesterday I started with really bad body aches and chills, fever, and nausea- fun!!! I just hope we all are better before we leave Tuesday morning!


On Friday the ward had a Christmas party for all of the primary kids.  Erik was really excited to drop off the boys and go out to dinner with a couple of friends.  However, that was the peak of Wyatt's sickness so we took him with us.  So we are still looking forward to a time we can go to a restaurant without the kids :)  Jackson had a really great time at the party.  He's getting so independent and old!

Saturday was the adult ward Christmas party (let the record state, I am not a fan of ward Christmas parties that aren't for the whole family!), I had lined up a babysitter to watch the kids but had to cancel because of Wyatt's and Anna's colds.  Erik felt like he still had to go for a bit, because he helped put it on.  Bummer.

Sunday, we gave our Sacrament meeting talks.  I love the feeling I get when I'm done with those: relief!  They went well.  I always love to hear Erik give talks because he does a really great job.  His topic was talking to the youth and Erik is just a natural at that.

On Monday, a bunch of people came over with their kids and we made lots and lots of Christmas treats.  We made citrus sugar cookies, peppermint fudge, chocolate truffles, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, rice krispies, candy bar rice krispies, and peppermint meringues.  It was fun hanging out with friends all day, but that was the peak of Anna's sickness so she only took one 20 min. nap all day and was pretty needy. 

 
That evening the families came back and we all loaded on the back of the flatbed trailer with some hay bales Erik scrounged up.  We then drove around the neighborhood delivering the treats.  It was fun (and cold!).  We're so lucky to live by so many awesome people!

The only picture of the whole group that was taken- a little blurry :(

On Tuesday, we decided to drive out to see the Christmas lights at the temple.  Well, little did we know that traffic was going to be so bad that it turned a 1 hour and 15 min. drive into an almost 3 hour trip!  I recently read that D.C. traffic is the worst in the nation, and I'm not surprised.  This wasn't rush hour traffic though, just an accident and road work I think, but is was soooo annoying!

When we finally got there however, we were able to watch the concert of a really great high school choir.  They were amazing and it just melted the trip's stress right off of me and Erik.  It was the perfect length for the kids too, just about 20 minutes.




We were glad that the Taylors came up and met us there.  It's always more fun with them around!






So, Erik and I really like the tradition that he grew up with of seeing the Oakland temple Christmas lights and eating donuts and hot chocolate in the parking lot.  So of course, we copied.  About 15 minutes into our little food fest, a really nice lady walked up to us and said, "I hate to be the one to tell you this but there is no food or drink allowed on the temple grounds."  I was kind of surprised, but whatever.  I guess we won't do that next year!

Comments

Kaitlin said…
Jenny you look SO good! And is that the exact same Coleman jug that we used to take to the Oakland lights? We usually ate in the parking lot so maybe try that next year.:)
erin said…
that is a little surprising! maybe next year just be more conspicuous? :)
Molly said…
So sorry everyone has been sick! I'm glad you got to go to the temple and see the lights! Such a cute picture of your family

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures