N.Y.C. Day One
On Thursday morning we said good bye to my mom and the kids and headed out! It felt sooo weird to be childless in the car for so long, but we had a great time catching up, trying to sleep (that would me), and eating candy :)
And then . . . we were there! And I was so excited to be in the city that I had dreamt about for so long that I started taking bad pictures through our dirty windshield. :) I also started frantically trying to find any song on my phone that is about New York before we got to the parking garage. We found a parking garage just yards away from Kim's apartment, which was nice. I brought way too many shoes to lug around blocks and blocks :)
So Erik's cousin, Kim was so nice and offered to let us use her Manhattan apartment (which is what started this whole idea). She often goes skiing in the winter, so we set up a date that she would be gone and she left instructions with the doorman to give us a key. Her place is right where we would have wanted it. A 10 minute walk to Times Square, to the Broadway theaters. Right around the corner from 5th Ave and all of the cool shopping. It was awesome.
A very cute studio apartment! Erik and I saw a flyer on a building during one of our walks of an apt. smaller than even this one for a crazy amount of money. I can't believe how expensive it is to live there.
Um, yeah so I asked the doorman to take our picture before we left :)
So excited to be there! Our plan was to walk to the Newsies theater, figure out exactly where it was, grab a bite to eat, then go back for our show. So we did that, however when we got back to the theater and gave the box office worker our tickets, he looked at us like we were stupid and told us that they don't do a show on Thursday night. A flash of panic overcame both me and Erik and we were thinking we got scammed or something. Luckily, it was nothing like that. We just got our dates mixed up and had tickets to Wicked on Thursday and Newsies was for Friday. So. We had to run back to the apartment to get our Wicked tickets and then run to the Wicked theater. I was so afraid that they would release our seats or something and we wouldn't get in. However, we did. Yeah!
This was when we were still in ignorant bliss, having someone take our picture in front of the Newsies theater before we found out. We're idiots.
Frizzy hair and some sweat going on. It was freezing, but after running for almost 2 miles (in heels!!) I was hot!
So the show was . . . amazing! I had seen Wicked in San Francisco three years ago, but I felt this was just a completely different experience. Our seats were close, and that made a difference I know-- to really feel the emotions from the actors. However, every part was just sung and played to perfection. And the costumes and sets were so elaborate and beautiful. Erik was seriously speechless at the end of the first act. He really loved it!
After the show I really wanted to go to Sardis, since it is such a Broadway institution. I can think of a few Broadway songs that mention this restaurant. So we went and it was OK. We shared a creme brulee, and it honestly wasn't the greatest. But it was fun to be there and see all of the star's pictures up on the wall :)













Comments