Any Excuse for a Party
January 6th was King's Day or 12th Night or whatever you want to call it. I have always wanted to mark that day somehow . . . it's nice to talk about the birth of Jesus once more before Christmas is really over. Last year, my sister Kathryn gave us all a children's book by Tomie DePaola about a traditional story of a woman that bakes lots of treats to give to the baby Jesus and then searches for him. She never finds Him and is still searching today. When she sees sleeping children she leaves some of the sweets for them on the 6th of January. So the kids got a couple of mini donuts put by their bed from "Old Befana." Anyway, another tradition that I thought was cute was hiding a ring in a cake. Whoever gets the piece with the ring in it is the winner :) I didn't want to put a nasty, toxic plastic ring in our baked cake so I put in a lifesaver . . . and uh, no one got it. Erik finally got the lucky piece the next day!
This past Monday we had another little family birthday party for our anniversary (nine years!). We started off with "pin the ring on the hand"
We raised the paper a little for those that were a little taller :)
Yet again, Erik was the winner
Next game was musical pillows. I was kind of bummed I couldn't play and had to man the music.
What birthday party would be complete with a present?? I had a couple of clearance games left over from last year that were perfect for a family gift.
We love games!
Orange cake and raspberry sorbet, yum!
Leftover treat bags from Jackson's party one year ago, haha. I don't think the kids minded that the candy was so old.
As for our actual anniversary, it was a little lame. Erik pretty much went from work right to mutual (I stayed home since Anna was sick). As he ate a super quick dinner before heading to the church we just kind of laugh that we are in the stage of life where this is how we do anniversaries. I couldn't ask for a more fulfilling life though, so I'm OK :) My biggest blessing in life (this little family of mine) really was born the day I married Erik, and I'm so thankful for the fun times, the hard times, the easy times, the sad times, and the happy times that have followed.
Comments