My Kids Are Soo Lucky I'm Not a Single Mom

Whenever Erik goes away for a couple of days I'm reminded of two things: 1) He helps me out a lot and 2) I'm not as patient as I sometimes think I am. As Erik was gone Friday morning to Sat. night, I was able to relearn these things and more. The experience was heightened, I'm sure, by the fact that we are all major sickies right now. Don't get me wrong, I love being a mom and am blessed that I am able to stay at home with my darling boys, however, there comes a point (usually after 10 or 11 hours) when I just need a break. Fortunately, this corresponds perfectly with Erik coming home from work every day. As soon as he comes home, he's always (well as long as there is not a scout meeting, or HOA meeting, or work thing, or basketball game)willing to let me work out, cook a meal, or take a bath all by myself. When he's gone, I do not have that luxury.
So at that time when I'm really needing a break, I get myself a handful of chocolate chips, and I kind of just inadvertently zone out. Here is sampling of how Jackson takes full advantage of my "zone out time" in just one half hours time (I realize I list Jackson's deeds a lot, but I really am amazed at how self sufficient he can be sometimes!):

Brought two boxes full toys that we store and rotate, individually, from the basement to various rooms upstairs.
Took off all of his clothes and "washed" them in the sink

Held Maverick hostage in his room while they played "vet"

Climbed up on the cabinets and started eating anything that took his fancy: marshmallows, crackers, herbal tea bags, etc.

Luckily for my house and Maverick I finally snapped out of it and returned to being a present Mom. Aside from my "zone out time" this really is a good learning experience for me. I'm sure I'll look back on this when I have a couple of more kids and think, "Wow I was really wuss if I thought that was hard!" But for now, I'm learning to not take myself or my house too seriously. I'm trying to find joy in putting together a puzzle for the 10th time or playing with cars on end. Because guess what? There really is a lot of joy to be found in that. I love sitting in Jackson's room and helping him use his imagination and watch him discover some new skill. Being able to just focus on Jackson and Wyatt in such a blessing sometimes. I'm sure it also helped that this is conference weekend, and I was able to catch snippets of some really great messages that put things in perspective. For now, Erik is back (yeahh!!!) and I get to go back to being a good Mom with a lot of help!


For those of you that read to the end: I'm sorry and I shall reward you with a picture of a very cute baby :) Yup, this is Wyatt with a double ear infection!

Comments

Emily said…
Jen, you said it yourself you are a wuss! I feel like I AM a single mom these days. Thanks goodness for all my awesome friends nearby that keep me sane. Seriously though, being a mom is a tough job some times, but you a great one. Your kids are lucky to have you. Thank goodness for chocolate chips eh? My guilty pleasure is Diet Coke. After a long stressful day I need a good Sitcom and a hard drink. Good times :)
Molly said…
Oh I so get you on this!!! Ahh and chocolate chips are totally my release too (haha but then you knew that..sugar and ice ring a bell?! ;)) anyway you are such a good mom jen, and I'm really wondering if it is possible to NOT zone out after having help, that's why we are supposed to have two parents right?! Hope you guys are feeling better!
Kaitlin said…
heheheheheh...i do that now and i only have one! uh oh for friday! and wyatt is way cute in that pic....too bad not all babies are that happy with ear infections! (who knows what iva is doing as i write this...she went upstairs like 10 minutes ago and i havent heard her at all which means she's obviously doing something naughty)
Jennie said…
I cried last night because it was Brandon's first official day back to work, and I was feeling too tired to handle a newborn by myself, so props for doing it with two kids and alone for two days!! Thanks for the chocolate chip suggestion though...I'm getting me a bag for those late nights!!
kathryn said…
Jenny, you are one of the most patient people I know! I wish I was more like you. Jackson is amazing and really cute. And that picture of Wyatt is adorable. He looks so happy. I hope you are all better now.

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures