Sweet Land of Liberty, To Thee We Sing
Ah, the 4th of July! To me this holiday is the pinnacle of everything that I love about summer: being out in the sunshine, hanging out with family and friends, and eating good food. It was a little bittersweet this time, because it was probably be our last in Rexburg, and I love how Rexburg celebrates it!
We kicked off the weekend by making a "flag cake" Friday evening. I was super excited, because we were able to use the strawberries from our garden for the cake. I've discovered homegrown strawberries are soo much tastier than the kind in the grocery store, yum!
Saturday morning was the 5K race. Like last month, it was a lot of fun, but I didn't quite have the same energy b/c Wyatt woke up EVERY hour the night before, yikes!

I did a tiny better in my time which I was glad about. I'm amazed at the people that can run super fast. The guy that won first place here ran the 3.1 miles in just over 15 minutes!!!
The boys were pretty patient and good while we waited for our times and the raffle prizes. I had a feeling I was going to win something and I did! No I didn't win the 2 bikes they raffled off. I won . . . a box of yucky running energy gel. :)
Jackson was sooo excited for the parade. All this week in preschool, he has been learning about parades and marching bands, so he was primed and ready to go. He especially loved all the candy the people threw.
Wyatt having fun with licorice. I honestly can't believe that I've already given Wyatt sugar. I try to resort to it only in times of desperation. Poor kid.

So much fun.
We were sitting watching the parade with our next door neighbors the Jensens. They are such an awesome family, we love them. After the parade they knew we were trying to get a bunch of stuff organized and cleaned in the house, so they asked if Jackson wanted to go on their boat with them. Of course Jackson did, so they took him all day and Jackson had a wonderful time. We got a ton of stuff done too, so it all worked out. :)
I was a little sad Jackson wasn't around when we were taking pictures by the flag like we always do (not that big of a deal I know!) Oh well.
To end the day, we went to the rodeo. Now, I had never been to a rodeo in my life before I married Erik. I've had quite the progression going from total culture shock to being amused to actually feeling at home at these things. I don't think I'll ever like the calf roping or steer wresting, but I like the other events and I like the community feel that's present. Yeehaw!
We kicked off the weekend by making a "flag cake" Friday evening. I was super excited, because we were able to use the strawberries from our garden for the cake. I've discovered homegrown strawberries are soo much tastier than the kind in the grocery store, yum!
Saturday morning was the 5K race. Like last month, it was a lot of fun, but I didn't quite have the same energy b/c Wyatt woke up EVERY hour the night before, yikes!
I did a tiny better in my time which I was glad about. I'm amazed at the people that can run super fast. The guy that won first place here ran the 3.1 miles in just over 15 minutes!!!
The boys were pretty patient and good while we waited for our times and the raffle prizes. I had a feeling I was going to win something and I did! No I didn't win the 2 bikes they raffled off. I won . . . a box of yucky running energy gel. :)
Jackson was sooo excited for the parade. All this week in preschool, he has been learning about parades and marching bands, so he was primed and ready to go. He especially loved all the candy the people threw.
Wyatt having fun with licorice. I honestly can't believe that I've already given Wyatt sugar. I try to resort to it only in times of desperation. Poor kid.
So much fun.
We were sitting watching the parade with our next door neighbors the Jensens. They are such an awesome family, we love them. After the parade they knew we were trying to get a bunch of stuff organized and cleaned in the house, so they asked if Jackson wanted to go on their boat with them. Of course Jackson did, so they took him all day and Jackson had a wonderful time. We got a ton of stuff done too, so it all worked out. :)
I was a little sad Jackson wasn't around when we were taking pictures by the flag like we always do (not that big of a deal I know!) Oh well.
To end the day, we went to the rodeo. Now, I had never been to a rodeo in my life before I married Erik. I've had quite the progression going from total culture shock to being amused to actually feeling at home at these things. I don't think I'll ever like the calf roping or steer wresting, but I like the other events and I like the community feel that's present. Yeehaw!

Comments