What're You Doing New Years, New Year's Eve?
OK whenever I think about that song I think of one of two things: 1) Lena Horne's excellent version that is part of my holiday music collection 2) The Troupe Cabana Christmas show . . . good times.
Anyway, Happy New Year! I always love the beginning of a new year. I love the resolutions I make (and sometimes break), I love the feeling of a "fresh start", and I love imagining all of the wonderful things that will happen during the year.
Erik didn't go to work Thursday or Friday, so we have had a really nice few days hanging out together. Thursday night we went to the Olive Garden for dinner (good coupons are always a nice excuse to eat out for us!). The only reason this is even worth mentioning is because it was the MOST successful eating out experience with kids we have ever had!!! Seriously, the boys never got out their seat and tried to run around, they didn't yell or sing really loud . . . it was wonderful :) We started out the dinner saying we were playing a game of practicing our "restaurant manners" and I guess they actually listened. I'm sure it helped that I brought a bunch of books for Wyatt to read, and Jackson was entertained with the color crayons that they gave them, plus we held dessert over their heads as a bribe. Anyway, for us this was big deal :)
Anyway, Happy New Year! I always love the beginning of a new year. I love the resolutions I make (and sometimes break), I love the feeling of a "fresh start", and I love imagining all of the wonderful things that will happen during the year.
Erik didn't go to work Thursday or Friday, so we have had a really nice few days hanging out together. Thursday night we went to the Olive Garden for dinner (good coupons are always a nice excuse to eat out for us!). The only reason this is even worth mentioning is because it was the MOST successful eating out experience with kids we have ever had!!! Seriously, the boys never got out their seat and tried to run around, they didn't yell or sing really loud . . . it was wonderful :) We started out the dinner saying we were playing a game of practicing our "restaurant manners" and I guess they actually listened. I'm sure it helped that I brought a bunch of books for Wyatt to read, and Jackson was entertained with the color crayons that they gave them, plus we held dessert over their heads as a bribe. Anyway, for us this was big deal :)
Yesterday was a really mild day, weather wise, so we headed over to the nice big park here in Winchester.
We first walked along the walking path that has little exercise stops that the boys liked attempting.
Maverick was happy to play fetch with Erik
After we were done, we had some hot chocolate and played on the playground.
At 8:00, right before the kids went to bed we toasted the New Year together. Jackson is always really excited about using goblets :) (Do you like his pirate picture expression??)
Wyatt wasn't quite used to drinking with them however, and dumped almost the whole thing all over himself. He was pretty upset, so I realized I had to help him drink :)
Erik and I weren't planning to stay up until midnight (I had another throwing up day yesterday!), but we are in the middle of watching the Ken Burns documentary on World War II and it's so hard for us pull away. It really is such a good documentary; it makes me so grateful for the freedom we enjoy and for the extreme bravery of the MILLIONS of men and women who fought that awful war.

Comments