Virginia Trip: Part Two
After our meal, we made our way back to Lafayette square to wait for our Lincoln Assassination tour guide to show up. I was pretty excited about this tour! I had just been reading a book about Lincoln (for book club and the book itself is kind of dumb, but the history in the book is cool). Anyway, it was chilly and at some points drizzly, so weather definitely could have been better, but I was still had a great time! The tour guide was of theater descent I think, because he was a great story teller!
I think this was in front of the home of the Secretary of State Seward. We pretty much walked through the city to go to the points of interest during John Wilkes Booth's plot with two other men to kill the president, vice president, and secretary of state. I really walked away so sad that Lincoln had died. I really believe that race relations in our country would be so much better had he lived. He would have found a way to help the South regain some footings with the new reality of no slavery. As we have learned with Germany after World War I, making a country suffer greatly after a war, does not help the world out. Obviously we learned better after WWII and the way Japan was treated. Anyway, it's all pretty interesting to me. Bottom line, is Abraham Lincoln was a super cool dude who was humble enough to surround himself with political enemies and people who didn't like him (like Seward) for the good of the country.
We ended our tour on the steps of the house where Lincoln took his last breath, across the street from the Ford theater.
I took a picture of this souvenir shop to remember to go back to it on Monday to get things for the kids. I was hoping it would have like really cool Lincoln stuff, but it didn't. It was just a typical cheap souvenir store.
We stayed right outside D.C. on Saturday night. The next morning, we went to church in the stake center across from the temple. It was fast and testimony meeting, and let me tell you, there are quite a few characters in that ward! The meetings was pretty entertaining :) While we were waiting for our table at our breakfast spot, I walked through a Hallmark store and had to take a picture of these glass figurines. Just seeing them took me back to my childhood! My sisters and I grew up getting a figure just like these at every birthday. I can't believe they still sell them (and I didn't know people still bought glass figurines to collect haha)
We drove to Williamsport that afternoon to visit with Erik's grammy :) We had a great visit at her house and then met Erik's Uncle Bobby and Aunt Joanne at Ruby Tuesdays for dinner. They are so sweet. Aunt Joanne showed up to the restaurant with magazines she had bought for us for our return trip. She also emailed me some pictures of when I ran the Chilli Challenge with Uncle Bobby and their daughter Karen (I also ran a half marathon with Karen) in 2012. We all had a great time!
Comments