Virginia Trip: Part One
This trip to Virginia, to go to Sydney and Logan's wedding kind of snuck up on us! When we agreed to go, the beginning of May seemed so far off! I can't believe how fast this year is flying by. My mom and dad flew in right before we flew out. They were so sweet to come out to watch the kids so Erik and I could go. Our flight into Baltimore was non-eventful and relaxing. I don't love flying, but anytime I'm flying without kids it is relaxing haha
We picked up our rental car and then drove to McLean. We stayed with the Johnsons that night.
Weirdly, this was my first time driving on this freeway towards to VA, so I got to see the cool scene of driving straight towards the temple. It was a cloudy rainy evening, but still fun to see :)
It was so fun visiting with Jimmy and Amy and their kids. We had our only home cooked meal of the trip :) Down in the basement was the pin ball machine that Erik and Jimmy played during college haha Erik was pretty excited to see it :)
The next morning we got ready and then drove over to the temple for the sealing. It was so so nice! It was wonderful to be back at the D.C. temple (sadly even though I've though I've lived in Utah for almost a year and a half the D.C. temple still feels like my temple). It was also so nice to see friends! It was like a mini Berryville ward reunion :) We got shushed many times while in the waiting room of the temple ;)
Sydney and Logan are really such a great couple. They are so young, but have gone through so many trials together and I can really see how much they love and support each other.
Reunited with Lisa and Amanda! :) Oh I had the worst luck this weekend too and had two huge zits! I found it so ironic that my skin has honestly been super clear since Disney World and the first time I get zits is on our trip and they were so big! I guess it just helps keep me humble and realize that I shouldn't worry about how I look in the first place ;)
Of course, once we got to Winchester we had to see our old house! I can't even describe the weird mix of happy/sad feelings I had, driving through our old neighborhood. Like it felt so natural, but then I would remember it's not my home anymore and I would feel sad. Luckily, by the end of the weekend I felt a little less sad and more happy and content with our life in Utah. I am so happy to be where we are. There are so many great things about our life here, but I have major nostalgia for our time in Winchester as well.
Erik was upset that they took out "our good bushes!" We could also see that they took out one of the garden beds, Erik had built in the backyard. Other than that though, it looks like the new owners are taking care of our former sweet house nicely
When I showed this picture of the neighborhood pool to the kids, they got so sad! Oh another thing that made sad, was seeing the Groll kids (the younger ones), Anna Walton, and having Anna tell me that Jackson's best friend in Winchester wanted her to tell us hi from him :( I know the kids would've love to see everyone!
We had some time before the reception, so I used the hotel gym. I shared it with one lady for the first half and then had it all to myself for the rest :)
My only picture of the reception! It was a great evening. Again, so fun to see friends!
After the reception, we went to the hotel so I could change into my jimmies :) and then we went to see the Neal's new home. I miss Jeanette and Sean so much! We had such a great time visiting and didn't leave until 1:30am!
The next morning we had our second McDonald's breakfast in a row haha and then drove back to D.C. to spend the day with the Clingermans! :)
I really do miss all of the trees.
Our first stop was the Holocaust Museum. We couldn't go into the main exhibit, because it is crowd controlled and they wouldn't have let us in for 3 hours. But there was plenty to see still. It is just so heartbreaking to reflect on that horrific event. But so important! I loved hearing all of the first person accounts throughout the museum. I definitely want to take the kids once they are older.
For lunch we chose one of the many food trucks that park around the National Mall. Erik and I split a kabob (since we were having an early dinner). It was so good!
We visited the Renwick Art Gallery. There were so many cool exhibits! Again, it was crowded so we didn't go into a few of the rooms, but I loved what we saw.
These sculptures are made out of index cards!
Walking by the White House.
A picture for Jackson :)
Early dinner was at a popular restaurant there called Founding Farmers. It was really delicious! And it had a fun atmosphere too.
Comments