Snow Adventures

This past weekend, we took a little trip and I along with our not-quite-four-year-old went skiing for the very first time.  Erik's parent's ward takes a trip to Dodge Ridge every year and we decided to tag along.  Thursday afternoon, we drove to Sonora and stayed at the Days Inn, so we wouldn't have to wake up at 4:00 am on Friday.  Jackson was so excited to stay in a motel; he still talks about the hotel we stayed in during the summer in Visailia!
The Days Inn was pretty much what you would expect for $65/night, but the elevator was sooo cool.  It's the oldest working elevator in all of California!  I felt like I was in Thoroughly Modern Millie and should've tap danced on the way down.
Jackson looked so cute in his little skis.  However, I don't think we took the right approach in teaching him.  While I stayed in the lodge with Wyatt, Erik took him up to a fairly tall slope.  I guess Erik didn't see the smaller ones.  It took Erik an hour of pretty much hunching over and totally supporting Jackson's 43 lbs :)  Jackson said he liked it, but I'm sure he'll enjoy it more next time when he's in a lesson with some other little kids!

The snow there was so great-- amazingly fluffy and soft!  It was good snow for me to learn how to ski on.  I discovered that I really do enjoy it, though I can't imagine ever being comfortable enough to go super fast.  I did have a pretty classic "ski novice" moment when I was coming down the hill.  Instead of slowing down, I kept picking up speed (Erik hadn't quite got around to teaching me the ins and outs of slowing and stopping).  I was literally inches away from plowing into a group of teenage boys that were congregated by a lodge when I flung my helpless body into a mound of snow to stop myself.  Cue Bridget Jones :)  Erik really was a good and patient teacher as was Bob.  Thanks guys!

Between teaching me and Jackson, Erik hardly got to ski for himself.  Luckily, he and his Dad were able to go out for a little bit while I hung out with the boys.  Of course, after I got out of all my snow clothes Jackson just had to go out and challenge me to a snowball fight!

Jackson was also really into pretending to be a dog.

Friday night, we drove to Livermore to stay with his parents for a couple of days.  Since only Erik's Dad and Peter went skiing, it was nice to see Janet and the Becerras (and their new home!).  Erik and I were lucky enough to sneak away and go on a belated anniversary date.  We saw Sherlock Holmes (great movie!) and went out to eat at a yummy Italian restaurant in downtown Livermore.  Every time we go out, I think, we need to do this more and then, during the craziness of day to day life, it doesn't happen.
Since Erik's parents are going to be in Florida this weekend during Jackson's birthday party, Janet was so sweet and made him a birthday cake.  We had a fun little celebration for him.  As you can see, he gets quite embarrassed by birthday attention!

Opening his presents.  I was very impressed with Adelyn's restraint.  When I saw her at Christmas, she was wrapping-ripper machine!

His fun new loot!
Sweet Wyatt waking up after a nap.  Sunday morning we got up early and I dropped Erik off at the Stockon train station so he could get back to our ward in Visalia for some stuff that he needed to do.  Since he had a business trip from Monday to Wednesday, I decided to stay with my parents and Laurel for a couple of days.  I really am so grateful that they welcome me and my family so often.  As I often do when I'm at home, I totally forgot to take pictures so there are none.  But as this post is too long anyway, maybe that's a good thing!  I was very proud of myself and came home a day and a half before Erik got home (I'm really bad at staying at the house without him).  Like always, it was nice to be home again. :)

Comments

erin said…
hahaha i love the tid bit about adelyn being able to restrain herself after seeing her at christmas--it is true--she sure does love opening those presents. also, i can relate to jackson, i dont really like that kind of attention at all either. and last, i love wyatts hair.
Kaitlin said…
gosh i so miss those boys!

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures