Cake, Friends, and Rock and Roll

Thursday evening we celebrated Wyatt's birthday.  It's time like these that I hate living so far from family.  I love a birthday celebration that includes uncles, aunts, grandparents, and cousins.  However, we are lucky to have good friends here that will come and help us out! :) Since I wasn't quite ready to do a full on "friends birthday party" this was nice and low key.
Jackson worked really hard at making a birthday banner for the party.  Wyatt and I helped a bit too.  The theme of the party was "Rock Star."  Every day leading up to Wyatt's birthday, he would change his mind on what kind of party he wanted.  First trains, then construction vehicles, and then one day, Jackson suggested rock star; after that it never changed again.  It was cute to see how excited both boys were in anticipation of the party.

Cute Anna ready for the fun to begin!

The first game we played was pin the electric guitar on the rock star.

Our rock star: a picture of Chris Martin from my Entertainment Weekly magazine.  It was the only fairly big picture of a "rock star" I could find (I realize Coldplay being considered as rock music is stretching it for some people!).


The next game we played was a version of duck, duck, goose.  The kids would say, "rock, rock, star."  Sometimes though it came out, "rock, goose, duck . . . star!"  Duck, duck, goose is one of our regular FHE games, so Wyatt was very happy to do it with a lot more people.

Each kid then got their own inflatable electric guitar to "rock out" during freeze dance.



I was happy that Wyatt really got into.  This boy loves his Green Day :).  It was actually a lot of fun making the party playlist with Wyatt.  He was quite choosy about what songs could actually make the cut.





Then it was chaser time!  I obviously didn't get very good pictures of the chaser.  They must be getting too fast for me!



I think three years old must be the best age for opening presents.  Wyatt's reactions were so adorable.  He loved everything, but his favorite I think was the Rescue Hero Firetruck.  As soon as he opened it he jumped up and exclaimed, "A Hero Rescuer!!  I've been thinking about this so much!!"  So far, he's slept with it every night.


After eating some Costco pizza (so yummy and so cheap right now with the coupon offer!) we dug into the cake and ice cream.  It was my first time decorating a cake with butter cream frosting.  I think fondant is a little easier (as you can see I have a hard time piping straight lines!), but it was fun to make!

Blowing out the candles.  He was very excited for this part and always wanted reassurance that no one would blow out the candles except for Wyatt!  We had him blow his candles on just his piece of cake, since he's sick.

Man, I love my little family! 
After eating, the kids played with the new toys and we just hung out.  It was a great evening.  Rock on everybody :)

Comments

erin said…
happy birthday wyatt! fun party, cute family picture, and is jackson wearing light up shoes?
Kelsey said…
Happy birthday Wyatt! cute cake!
kathryn said…
What a fun party! I love all of the pictures. The rock star party is such a cute idea and I love that Wyatt loved it! I love his dancing! and really cute games and a way impressive cake!!! how did you do that? We actually played freeze dance just last night! Maybe we should make that a tradition for the Christmas Eve program :) I'm so sad we weren't there though! Your kids are getting so big and cute and old!!!
kathryn said…
I really like your yellow walls. Did you paint them? Are you planning on keeping them?
Molly said…
i think that is adorable wyatt loves music and to dance to his rock and roll music! (hmm wonder who he gets that from?!) that cake was really cute!! it looked like it took a lot of work, what a nice mommy! party looked really fun, oh and you're looking skinny! :)

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures