Long Island

Tuesday evening after the blessing, we started our drive to New York.  We stopped for the night at a hotel in King of Prussia, PA (half way to Long Island, about a 3 hour drive).  The boys were so excited to start staying in hotels (they looooove hotels- I think it's mostly the continental breakfasts!)

Anna slept really well the whole time we were gone.  It was funny because the night before we left she woke up pretty much every hour, and then the night we came home she did almost as bad!  I wonder if she likes being in the same room as all of us :)

The next morning we started our drive to Long Island.  The boys and Anna slept off and on and really did well for the first couple of hours.

Erik and I couldn't believe this position Jackson slept in, ouch!

Right as we were getting into New York City, I got so excited.  I love the idea of NYC so much.  When I was 18, I was convinced I would move there after college.  I read the New York Times everyday, even reading the local section to learn and absorb as much as I could living on the other side of the country!  Anyway, I never quite got there to live (marrying Erik kind of scuttled those pie in sky plans).  So as we were driving over the George Washington bridge and could see the Statue of Liberty I was really excited!  However, right after crossing this bridge we missed a turn and being in one of the biggest cities in the world, we couldn't just flip a U-ie.  To make a very long story short we ended up in Brooklyn trying to get back on the freeway, but taking a very long with the traffic and lights (over an hour!).  I would've been OK if Anna wasn't screaming the entire time!  It was so sad.  And seriously not the best introduction to New York I could have had.

We did finally get to our destination.  A burial was being held for Erik's Nanny.  She died a few years ago, but it took awhile for everyone to get together for the ceremony.  It was really nice to hear about Erik's Grandma, whom I have never met.  All of Erik's Aunts and Uncles on his Dad's side were there.  I really enjoyed meeting some of his cousins as well.




The next day, Erik's siblings went into the city, but Erik and I both knew it would be too hectic.  Knowing that we live 3 hours away, and will come at an easier time, make us not want to do too much as well.  We went out to Fire Island with Robert, Janet, and Kelsey's 1 year old, Camia.  It was perfect weather and a wonderful time at the beach.


Anna getting ready for her first ferry ride.

Wyatt loved being on a boat.



Jackson thought it was pretty funny we were riding a "fairy."  He is very cognizant of things being "girl things" or "boy things" right now; I'm pretty sure he thought we were going on a "girl boat."


Anna catching some sleep where she can get it :)

Is there anything better than feeling, hearing, seeing, smelling the ocean??
,







Janet and Erik watched Anna while I took a little jog along the beach.  I had never done that before, and it was kind of funny.  The sand was so squishy I felt like I was moving in slow motion.




At one point some people found a couple of sharks that had been buried in the sand.  I instantly heard the Jaws theme running in my head.





We spent the evening in Sayville (where Robert and Janet grew up).  It was fun hearing about their remembrances.  We ate at Sayville Pizza, a place Janet had remembered really liking.
Janet in front of her childhood home.  I should mention too that we went to Robert's childhood home before our beach trip that morning.  Erik's cousin Danielle now lives there with her cute family.  I loved seeing all of these places.  It reminded me of all of the childhood trips to Roseville, listening to my Mom and Dad talk about and point out places that were important to them.

Comments

Kaitlin said…
i love that pic of you and anna...you're so beautiful, and anna's hair looks a bit funny in it. :)
erin said…
i love that beach picture of you and anna. you better frame it! what gross sharks!
kathryn said…
So neat to see the areas that Erik's parents grew up in. I'm impressed with all of the traveling too!
Molly said…
I agree, cute picture of you and Anna and your pretty long hair! Looked like a fun beach day too (those sharks were pretty nasty though)

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures