Shake it Baby!

Whoa, I just experienced a Virginia earthquake!  They really don't happen very often (once every few decades an earthquake will hit the east coast I guess).  I was putting Anna down for a nap, and everything just started shaking!  Literally the whole room was shaking!  My first thought was that the boys were doing something crazy downstairs again- I was so scared!  But since it was so strong and we don't keep bomb making material within reach, I knew it had to be something else.  Then I thought it was a big wind storm barrelling through, but I peeked out the window and nothing was moving.  I quickly came downstairs, and found the boys playing with soapy water (what is it with the soap and water??? At least this time it was contained nicely in a sink!).  They didn't even notice the shaking.  It was a 5.8 originating, I think, between Richmond and DC.   It was definitely the biggest earthquake I'd felt since the Bay Area quake in '89 (weirdly, I have such fond memories of that one, being shepherded by Kathryn to safety under the kitchen table, and her telling me and Derrick stories to make us feel better). 
This is what I saw from the rocking chair during the earthquake.  Just like this only everything was shaking :)



Comments

Molly said…
the other night we had a 4.8 one..i think earthquakes are the craziest feeling! i like your sweet memory of kathryn :)
glad your earthquake didn't affect you anymore than it did (ha and seriously funny your first thought was that the boys were up to something!)

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures