Destination: Long Island
This Thanksgiving we took Erik's cousin, Danielle up on her offer to have us come to her place for the holiday. The kids, being so excited had pretty much been packing since the 10th of November! We started our trek at about 3:00 pm on Wednesday. Since we were pulling our trailer, we had to take the truck. The truck isn't my favorite mode of transportation, mostly because my feet don't reach the floor (oh the woes of being short). But with my feet tucked under, I was ready for the road! :)
We didn't get too far, before it was time for an Arby's break for dinner. Other than that, we only stopped once for bathroom breaks and to nurse Anna. We had decided to just keep driving until the kids needed to stop for the night. Both Erik and I really wanted to get through New York City if we could, because that's the one spot that can be crazy with traffic. We got there about 9:30 with no problem, but then spent about an hour being directed from the Holland Tunnel ("No trailers") to the Lincoln Tunnel ("No trailers") to the George Washington Bridge (finally!). After the first police officer came up to our truck to explain that we needed to go to the Lincoln Tunnel (hey buddy, you were wrong!), Erik and I both looked at each with the same thought: "that guy looked and sounded just like a cop from Law and Order! I have literally watched every single Law and Order episode from season 1- 20, so this was a pretty exciting thing for me! It was also really pretty to see the amazing skyline of New York City all lit up. What a marvelous display of man's creation! After taking about an hour and half more than we should have, we finally found a Walmart in which to park for the night (every Walmart allows travel trailers and RV to stay for free).
The sleeping the first night was rough. Anna didn't sleep, so I didn't sleep and the boys woke up pretty early. No matter how tired I am though, I at least love a good morning cuddle with everyone!
It's sad but true that our kids have a screen to entertain them no matter where we are. Even if we are in a Walmart parking lot in Carle Place, New York. I have such a love/hate relationship with modern technology!
Comments