National Zoo
Yesterday was the start of Jackson's spring break, I think we made the most of it by going to the zoo. :) I was really happy that Erik was able to take the day off. Our drive to D.C. went fine until we got to the zoo and spend about 30 minutes trying to find a place to park. I finally decided to just get out with the kids (some of us really needed to find some facilities!), and let Erik park.
Ready to see some animals!
I figured Erik would meet up with us after about 15 minutes or 20 minutes or so. Well, it was more like an hour and what an hour it was! When I rushed out of the van, I wasn't able to pop the wheel on the stroller, so I was just holding Anna (with her trying her hardest to lunge out of my arms and onto the dirty ground). I also didn't have our packed lunch, or any of our snacks or water and Wyatt was s-t-a-r-v-i-n-g! We went up with the Clingermans, and Amanda's mom Stephanie. They were very nice and let Anna sit in the stroller they brought for a little bit (Anna wouldn't stay in it very long), they also were kind and offered some of their food. Well by that time, Wyatt had gone into tantrum mode and only wanted our food. Ugh, it was not pretty!
Reunited and it felt so good! :)
Anna really really loved the animals. She could spot them a mile away and would give the best reactions. She made an elephant noise for the first time it was so cute!
It was hard staying with our friends when the kids wanted to go at their own pace. I wish we got a group picture while we were together!
This statue was a big hit. It's always the most random things that kids like the best right?
taking a little snoozy
Jackson and Wyatt loved studying the zoo map!
This bird was hilarious and kept pecking at the boys' hand. It kept a crowd entertained for a while.
Wyatt doesn't look to happy, but I think it was just too sunny. They sure loved this cotton candy!
This would be a great family picture if Wyatt wasn't picking his nose haha
Anna loved playing peek-a-boo with this bar.
This snapping turtle was so freaky looking. It has a tongue that looks and moves just like a worm- eww.
Jackson really loved this elephant poop display. It was quite informative.
I was so excited to take a picture by the pandas. I have been loooking forward to seeing pandas at this zoo forever. They are so cute!
Wyatt's favorite part of the zoo was definitely the lion display. He was asking when we could see them pretty much the whole zoo trip. At the end of the day, when we got to the lion enclosure we just saw the female lions. Wyatt was pretty disappointed and kept asking where "the lions with the circle fur" were. At next lion spot, we saw the male lion and he went crazy! It was so cute. We lucked and the lion put on a great show, roaring loudly for quite a long time!
Erik's favorite was seeing the orangutan climbing along the telephone wires. It was really funny to see.
Oh and Erik insisted I take a picture of 4.99 gas in the middle of D.C. It's like 3.99 here in Winchester- glad I'm not paying for gas there! We left the zoo right when people were getting off of work, around 5. It took us a very long time to get out of the city, but once we did it wasn't a bad drive at all. We stopped about half way at a McDonald's for dinner. As a whole, this was one of our most successful day trips as a family. Not having to pay admission to the zoo and bringing a lot of our own food helped make the day better too :)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Comments