D.C.


On Saturday, we drove out to D.C. to do the tourist thing and see some sights.  It was the perfect way to kick off Memorial Day weekend!

Apparently every Memorial weekend there is a national motorcycle thing.  It was crazy to drive up and see thousands of motorcycles and their lovely riders all together.

I really needed to find some "facilities" so the boys, my mom, and I jumped out of the van by the Lincoln Memorial while Erik, Anna, and my Dad went to the Reagan building to park.



haha I look like the most annoying tourist talking on my phone right in front of Lincoln's statue.  I was trying to talk to Erik and find out where they were :)

Patriotic (and sunny!)



I'm sad the reflecting pool is drained.  I always think of the scene in Forrest Gump when Jenny runs through the water, trying to get to Forrest :)
After we met up, we had our picnic lunch by the World War II memorial.  It was a nice spot, but have I mentioned the heat yet?  It was HOT! And HUMID!  Seriously.  People were just sweaty and red faced and so we were we.

Because it was so hot, people were cooling off in the water.  The boys of course, did not want to be left out of the fun!  Later, Erik pointed out a sign that said, "No Wading"  Pretty much everyone who was by the fountain was in it though, so I didn't feel too bad :)



One of my very favorite pictures ever!
Anytime we had a chance to sit in some shade, we did.

One thing about the memorials in D.C. is that it requires a lot of walking.  About halfway through the day, I turned Map My Run on my phone and at the end it said 2.3 miles so I'm sure it was over 4 miles.  Normally, I would love that, but in the heat . . . not so much.

Walking to Natural History Museum.  I really wanted to go to the American History Museum (where all of the pop culture items are), but the boys really wanted to show Erik the dinosaurs!




It was a fun day.  It was Erik's first time at the museums since we moved here, and he really enjoyed himself.  I think he was worried it was going to be more complicated parking and navigating the crowds than it really was.  We'll definitely go again soon, although not until it gets a little cooler :)  Sadly it ended on a bit of a down note because my Dad started feeling sick that evening.  He wonders if it was partly due to the heat. 

Comments

erin said…
i envy your trip but not the heat and humidity! i still remember going when i was in 8th grade and my parents making us walk all over on the 4th of july--what mean parents to take me on vacation to dc!!! apparently i was not very grateful then. anyway.... LOVE that picture of wyatt and anna--precious!
Molly said…
totally brings back memories of going there in 6th grade with my family...i really loved it and i am sure i would appreciate it a whole lot more now too! (the heat sounds scary though- humidity is not my thing!)

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures