Keeping it Real
So I thought it would share an update on our Sacrament meeting after saying it was going pretty well for a couple of weeks. Well Sunday, it did not go too well. I don't know what came over Jackson and Wyatt but they pretty much became noisy little guys- not really caring that their embarrassed Mom was trying to get them to be quiet :). I'll give you a couple of highlights:
Wyatt kept "trying to whisper" but it came out as a loud speaking voice. Saying over and over, "Mom I want you to draw Iron Man now!"
Jackson grabbing my car keys and standing up outside of the pew saying, "Mom I'm going to drive home now and make cookies by myself." I had told them before church that they would only get to eat the cookies I was making if they were reverent . . . they didn't get any cookies.
Jackson, writing in big letters on a piece of paper "DAD I WANT YOUR IPAD" while holding it up for Erik to see and pointing dramatically . . . Erik didn't see it.
As much I want the boys to just stay quiet so that people around us can pay attention and I can not look like an incompetent Mom, what I really want for them is to understand why we are quiet during Sacrament meeting. I want them to understand that during Sacrament meeting, we are making promises to our Father in Heaven and participating in a sacred ordinance. And that while we are reverent, we have an easier time listening to the Spirit and learning how we can become closer to our Savior . . . so how do you teach that to an almost 7 year old and a 4 year old? We have tried Family Home Evening lessons on reverence, "serious" one on one discussions, and random nonchalant discussions about this. Obviously this hasn't worked too well, so I guess I need to do some thinking of what else I can do . . . I'll get back to you if anything seems to stick :)
Comments