Drag Races
Last weekend, we drove down to Charlotte, NC for some NHRA drag races. Now do you think in my wildest imagination I ever thought I would have written that sentence 15 years ago?? I did not. But luckily I married a guy that "broadens my horizons" and I get to experience some good time, Americana :) (I also had a hard time saying no to this venture, knowing Erik just took me to three Broadway musicals in one weekend not too long ago :)
Anyway, the drive down is about 5 hours. Since we were taking the travel trailer, we had to drive the kids and all three were very close together (uh-oh recipe for fights), however they actually did really great. I think it helps that this is 2013, and they each had something to watch a movie on (Wyatt and Jackson had to agree on what to watch though, as they were using one of the dual screen DVD players- tough break).
We arrived at campsite around 9:30 and after setting things up, crashed for the night. In the morning, I went for a run (which was fun jogging around a huge NASCAR speedway), we had breakfast and headed to downtown Charlotte to see the NASCAR hall of fame museum. Downtown Charlotte was a really cute place by the way.
When you first get there, you watch a movie on the history of NASCAR. It was a really well produced documentary and would you know it, I actually got a little emotional during the whole thing (what is wrong with me??). I think I just get emotional see people achieve their life long dreams.
The boys were seriously in heaven in this place. So many fun cars to see, and the place is very interactive and kid friendly.
Cute girl loved the cars too!
They had a temporary crash exhibit of the actual cars from some of the sport's most famous crashes. Jackson was showing me his crash face :)
Learning about the safety technology in the vehicles.
I decided Jeff Gordon was my favorite racer. It may have to do with the fact that he is from Northern California :)
At the end of our visit, we got to sit inside a car and have a simulated race match against several other musuem goers. I had Anna on my lap, so we crashed several times :)
After the museum, we went back to the trailer and the boys went to see the first drag races. While Anna slept, I worked on a YW lesson, and once she woke up we picked up some things at Target. Meanwhile, the races actually got rained out and the boys were locked out of the trailer. Oops! Luckily, Wyatt was small enough to break in through the window. :) We then all had a yummy dinner of chicken enchiladas (one of the many joys of taking the travel trailer and having an oven to work with!)
After dinner, we decided to head over to Bass Pro Shop. All 3 had so much fun "trying out" the 4 wheelers, and boats.
Going on the mall's merry-go-round was pretty fun too!
Suprisingly, no pictures were taken on Saturday! We met up with the Clearys (friends of ours that came down for the races as well) and all of the boys headed over to the drag races. I gave Erik the camera and made him promise to take pictures, but alas, he did not :) I think they all had a good time though. The boys were impressed with how fast the cars went (up to 325 mph!), there was a spectacular crash that ended up on Sportscenter that night, and they met several of the drivers in the pit and got their autographs. I think after awhile though, the boys were ready to be done (a full day of watching races would sure be too much for me!). Meanwhile, Lisa, baby Noah, Anna, and myself made good use of ourselves at the big mall that is just a mile from the races (coincidence? I think not) I had some gymbucks to use, and finally found a maxi dress I like and that was on clearance. We had a nice lunch at Chillis, and really just had a great time hanging out. That evening, we all met back at the trailer for a lasagna dinner.
Wyatt was TIRED that evening. He pretty much was upset over everything, but he fell asleep fast and then all was calm :)
Sunday morning, we went to a local ward, came back and packed up. While we were getting everything ready to go, the boys were having a blast playing "race car driver." I thought it was really cute how Jackson decided what clothes would most resemble the driver's uniform and insisted on wearing it while they were playing. :)
The drive home went just fine and before we knew it, it was time to tackle our normal lives once again on Monday.























































Comments