New York, New York (It's a Wonderful Town)
Immediately after our Georgia trip, I was able to go on a New York one (tough life, right?). My younger brother Derrick, got a great internship with Radiolab in NYC for the summer. Since my Mom was already out here visiting me, she decided to go up and see Derrick. My sister Rebecca and I jumped at the chance to join in! I really couldn't believe my luck that I was able to take another trip to my favorite city :) just months after the first one-- trust me, this is not a frequently reoccurring trip!
Erik couldn't take off work to watch the kids, so I asked Laryssa Groll who was just about to leave on a mission if she would. I felt almost bad about taking her away from her mom a week before she left for Honduras, but we were contributing to her mission fund, right ;) I know that the kids spent a lot of time at the Grolls house (they have children our kids' ages as well) which I know they loved! Laryssa did a really great job!
Rebecca flew into Dulles on Tuesday afternoon. My mom went to pick her up and then they spent the evening in D.C. at the Holocaust Memorial. That is one place I really want to go, but it would have to be a kids free trip for sure.
We started our drive Wednesday morning, and it went really well. The city driving wasn't too terrible (though all I did was go directly from the freeway to our hotel and then parking garage).
We stayed at the Chelsea Savoy. I researched a bunch and basically this was the closest, cleanest, most economical hotel in Manhattan (and each hotel room had its own bathroom which was kind of a deal breaker for us). There definitely were not a lot of bells and whistles at this place, but it served its purpose nicely. We were about a mile and a half from Times Square, so close enough to walk everywhere.
We got in and settled around 2:00. We had been planning on seeing a discounted Broadway show on Thursday, but since we had arrived early enough on Wednesday we thought we would give the discount line a shot that night as well. On the walk over to Times Square, we stopped at the library and thought of the one and only . . . Ghost Busters (do you remember that ending scene there?)
So we got in the Broadway discount line and got tickets for the show we all really wanted to see, Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella! I love that music so much and was excited to see the favorably reviewed Broadway production.
Since we hadn't eaten yet, we decided to run to the Whole Foods that was by our hotel, grab some pre-made food, change our clothes, and then get back to the theater (close by Times Square). Well time kept running out and as we were literally running through the streets trying to make our show (total deja vu to when Erik and I saw Wicked!) we decided to get a cab. It was quite exciting looking back, but we all were worried about being late. We met Derrick at the front of the theater and made our way inside.
The show was amazing! Seriously, it was just acted and sung absolutely gorgeously, great dancing, outstanding costumes, and sweet story. Pretty much everything you want from a Broadway show!
So much fun to see this with them!!
Weird picture of me, but I wanted to include the pretty set and stage.
After the show we just kind of enjoyed seeing the people and lights that are everywhere by the theaters.
I had to get a jumping-for-joy shot, but as soon as I did it I quickly wanted to move out of the way :)
Excited to see the Cinderella and Newsies billboards up together :)
And we thought it was only right to take Derrick's picture in front any Pixar characters we could find.
More group shots in front a different poster, because that's the way we roll.
At my request, we made our way over to the Shake Shack for some ice cream. It was kind of a bummer though, because there were not seats available while we were there, so it wasn't too relaxing. It was delicious though :)
Derrick then took the subway back to his place to get some things (he was going to just stay over with us the whole time) and we all hit the sack.
The next morning I was the first to wake up at around 7:30 (not too surprising since I am the only one used to East Coast time). I decided to go for a run and just like last time, I had an absolute blast. I ended up running about 6 1/2 miles and my time was better than it has been in months. I need to run in New York City more often :)
After we all got ready (and admittedly had our one and only rough patch- bound to happen when a bunch of adults are trying to do a bunch of different things), we rode the Subway to Derrick's apt.
The future King of New York :)
His new digs. I'm sure he want me to put out a disclaimer that the Cowboys and Aliens poster is not his hahaha
As soon as I saw this sign I couldn't get out the big song from the musical In The Heights. It's a song on my workout play list, so I know it quite well. Broadway rapping at it's finest! :)
We had a nice time walking over to Central Park. I really do enjoy walking around New York City. I'm jealous that Derrick is doing that every day right now. I'm sure it would get old if I lived there, but there is just so much energy on the street- it's contagious.
Another day, another cheesy pose!
I though it was funny that when I was trying to take a picture of Rebecca, my Mom, and Derrick that my Mom was trying to take a picture of me . . . taking a picture! At least now I know where I get my picture taking addiction! :)
Central Park is so pretty! We were just marveling how cool it is, for such a big, busy city to have set aside so much land purely for green space!
more walking and talking and walking and talking
At the Met. We didn't get a chance to go in any of the museums we wanted to, but we enjoyed the steps for a moment :)
Our plan was to go to the Guggenheim, but we found out Thursday is the one day it is closed! It was fun seeing the building though; it is Frank Lloyd Wright design.
Don't you just love how we pose for a picture at the exact same place, but in every possible order between the four of us? :)
cool building
My Breakfast at Tiffany's moment, sans croissant and chic dress.
Stopping inside a Lindt chocolate store. Lindt, really isn't my favorite chocolate but they had some really tasty citrus flavors that I liked.
So probably one of my favorite moments the whole trip, was seeing Derrick's total geek out over the statue that is front of Rockefeller Center. There is a big shot of it during the opening credits of every episode of 30 Rock. He watched a lot of 30 Rock last semester, when he decided to go for the internship, so for him that was his most crazy, excited sighting in New York by far. It was fun to witness :)
My little Liz Lemon- boy
By this time, my feet were screaming, screaming! Between my run and walking everywhere I felt like I do when I'm 8 months pregnant and can barely walk. So basically, the kind of pain that is worth it :)
We walked over to the discount line again, and this time got tickets for Annie. I've always loved that musical and was excited to see Jane Lynch (from Glee) in the role of Miss Hannigan.
We didn't want to repeat Wednesday's night flight of terror to make the show, so we decided to grab dinner somewhere very close. There was a great salad place (a chain I'm sure, though I've never seen it before) where we scored a whole table (!) and we were able to let our feet relax and enjoy one of our meandering-delving-into-every-topic-conversations.
We made it with time to spare! This time we were in the orchestra in the very back. The theater wasn't very big though, so we had no problems seeing everything.
The stage, before the opening song.
Annie was a lot of fun, but admittedly nothing in comparison to Cinderella. I actually felt like Jane Lynch was the weakest link. She was funny, but I felt like she was almost copying Carol Burnett's performance from the 1982 movie and wasn't quite as good as her. Since I've been back though, I've re-watched that movie that I grew up with, and realized that the Annie we saw was heads and shoulders above the kid that played Annie in the movie. I also really enjoyed the Daddy Warbucks we saw and all of the orphans especially. Funny enough my favorite performance was from the guy that played Miss Hannigan's brother, Rooster. I had never really cared for that character in the past. This Rooster though, just had a total command of the stage whenever he was on. And he was an awesome dancer!
The new Superman movie was certainly advertised quite a bit!
Rainy and wet Friday morning, Derrick had to go to Radiolab and my Mom and Rebecca had tickets to go to the 9/11 memorial. Since I went there with Erik in February, I decided to do a little browsing and shopping on my own. One of my stops was at the American Girl Store. I went in there briefly in February, but with no Erik to roll his eyes at me, this time I was able to take my sweet time and become awash in memories of being obsessed with American Girls. Since Samantha is no longer sold (she was my doll), I took a picture of the Molly doll. Molly's Molly and my Samantha were pretty much BFFs, so I felt like the Molly doll was like a second daughter to me :)
I also stopped in a gigantic H&M, which was fun and a yummy chocolate store for some macaroons. I was just about to try on some things in Anthropologie when Rebecca called to say they were done and were waiting for me at the library. I'm sure Erik was glad my shopping trip was cut short :)
We met at the library, went into the fun gift shop and pretty much let our tired, aching feet rest for a bit. We also decided that we should leave the city as soon as possible to try to beat Friday rush hour.
Well, let it be known that 2:45 pm in New York City is rush hour traffic. It literally took us hours to move a few block in our car. I seriously couldn't believe it, and have vowed to never try to drive out of the city on a Friday again (when Erik and I left, it was a Sunday evening and very quiet!). The ride home was very long, and super rainy. Visibility was really low throughout some stretches that always makes me nervous to drive in, but it was still fun as my Mom, Rebecca, and I were enjoying each others company. After one too many light meals, I was craving a 5 Guys burger and luckily Rebecca was too, so that was our dinner in Allentown, PA (my Mom is really not a burger person).
With the beginning traffic delay, we didn't get home until 1:00, and of course I was woken up by three of my favorite people bright and early. I was so excited to see them after pretty much being gone for a whole week, that is was OK.
Wearing their souvenirs: New York shirts! I liked the idea of buying the boys' shirts at the library where the money will go there rather than some cheap souvenir shop. And Anna's shirts I bought at Old Navy on clearance a couple of months ago, when I knew that I was going on this trip :)
I will forever be thankful that I took this trip. I only wish that my other siblings and Dad could have come. This trip only intensified my love for New York City as well-- it is truly a unique, vast, diverse, stimulating, entertaining place to be!





















































Comments