Island Park Day

The next day we had another relaxing morning then we drove over to a spot where you can float Henry's Fork.  Unfortunately the big inflatable rafts were all gone, so we had to do a metal fishing boat.  This did not seem as comfortable to me, but we were OK with it.  The kids had fun playing in the water and digging while we waited for a boat to free up. 



Anna was very proud of her castle creation :) 
The float was fun.  It is a VERY slow and shallow river.  We had to get ourselves out and push the boat at times.  Also Erik was getting frustrated with our rowing and steering capabilities haha  He decided to just steer by himself most of the time ;)  Also, I got SUPER tired for a portion of it.  I had just started a new medication for my skin (still waiting to see if it will work or not!) and one side effect is fatigue (and nausea and  water retention and weight gain-- just what you want in a medication right?? haha).  Anyway, I think I just needed to eat something, because once I ate my Subway sandwich I brought I felt a bit better.  Anyway, those little down moments are kind of what family vacations are about sometimes right?? Being able to work through them and end up on the other side happy together.  There were definitely more happy moments than not on our float, but I just felt like I should include the not so bright spots as well!

Oh, I also played a singing guessing game with the kids loudly enough that after we ended our float a man that was floating with his family next to us at times thanked us for our singing and entertainment haha
So, our evening entertainment was a dinner theater.  There is a theater guy from BYU that started this dinner theater with his wife several years ago.  He writes like parodies . . . I knew it was going to be very corny, but I'm a pretty corny person so I thought it would be fun.
Well once we sat down with our dinner (which was quite delicious I must say).  I started looking around at the set and saw a Donald Trump picture and my stomach just dropped.  I mean I was in Island Park, Idaho, not exactly a place that I feel at home politically.  The last thing I wanted was a super right wing political humor night.  So the show started and first I was cautiously enjoying it.  The performers were all BYU/UVU/BYU-Idaho musical theater students that were super talented.  They did a fun opening number that was like 30 seconds of many popular Broadway musicals.  And then the play started which was a parody on Robin Hood.  And the "stealing from the rich/government takes too many taxes" jokes just kept coming.  There were some Hilary Clinton jokes that the audience just ATE UP.  They did make fun of Trump a couple of times and the audience was very quiet for those haha.  But, that really wasn't bothered me in the end.  What I couldn't stand was one of the cast members who was playing the Friar decided it would be funny to adopt a "China Man accent."  It was so offensive!  I seriously just stared in shock that this stereotyping-asians-are-funny-purely-because-they-have-a-weird-accent-thing was happening!  Adding to the dumb political humor and the offensive racism was the fact that most of the jokes were just super outdated and dumb (Simon Cowel as a meanie is something that is just not funny anymore, people!) During intermission, I told Erik I just wanted to leave.  Wyatt and Anna were pretty bored throughout it was more than happy to leave with me.  
So I drove back to the cabin and watched Olympics and had a grand time! :)  After the show was over we picked up Erik and Jackson and everyone was happy.  It sounds like the show did have a pretty funny Napoleon Dynamite send up that Jackson really loved.  So good for them . . . I guess :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures