Trail Ride

 Saturday was our first "early morning" of the trip.  We had a horse back trail ride at 9:00 I believe.  I thought it was pretty cool to see a cattle drive on the side of the highway on our way there!


 It didn't take long to get to Harriman state park where the trail ride was.  This is the same place we went to last year.  However last year Wyatt refused to get on a horse and Anna was too young.  Technically she was still young this time since you had to be 6 to ride, but we explained that she was 5 1/2 and they were OK with Anna riding.  And Wyatt had absolutely no problem getting on his horse.  He was excited to ride!  I was really proud :) 








 Jackson was a bit disappointed that his horse was one of the shorter ones.  It also ended up being one of the slowest and laziest too.  He was not impressed-- especially since he is the most experienced rider in our family (other than Erik!).
 This is my "I'm not terrified.  I'm not terrified.   I'm not terrified." face :) 


So yeah, I was a little terrified :)  Horses are not my thing really.  Any animal that is that big that has my life in its hands I have a hard time trusting haha However, it was amazing how I little by little felt more comfortable.  I mean these horses are great horses that are used to these little trail rides and used all sorts of people riding them.  









 After about an hour we stopped and let the horses rest and snack and we could stretch our legs.  My stirrups were way too short and my knees were having to stay bent at an uncomfortable angle, so at the rest stop I asked if we could adjust them and man that helped a lot!  The second half of our ride was much more comfortable!






 My "seriously I am not scared at all anymore" face :) 



 We really did have a great time on our ride.  I think 2 hours was a little much for the kids in terms of them just getting a bit bored, but they  never complained and it was a great experience for us.

 After a lunch at McDonalds in West Yellowstone (that was crazy expensive!) we went to the Bear and Wolf Discovery Center.  We really liked this last year, and Wyatt especially, was excited to come back.  Very surprisingly, I didn't take any pictures other than a couple of snaps while we were there! 
 For dinner we went back to Island Park and had dinner at a little home style restaurant we ate at last year.  It was good.  Then we drove back to West Yellowstone for the rodeo!  They do a little rodeo every night for tourists and it was fun.  I especially loved seeing this couple of some European country take video of the entire thing. They kept looking at each other like this American rodeo was like the most charming thing they've ever seen haha It made me think about what a distinct culture this mountain west/small town area has!
 The kids were being crazy and getting lots of energy out which was fine.  If they can act like ruffians any place, the rodeo is as good as any haha







 The kids were able to participate in a spot which surprised us.  What surprised us even more is that all of our kids participated gladly!  It was kind of like flag football with a calf where the kids had to try and grab the flag that was velcroed onto a harness on the calf.  Wyatt was sooooo close for most of it, but then the calf made a sharp turn and the kid that was standing on another side caught the flag.





 Next was Jackson's age group!  He is the least likely to participate in things like this, so it was fun seeing him out there.


 Oh and all of the kids got dollar coins for doing it! 
 Right away we noticed that our trail ride leader from earlier that day was one of the riders in the rodeo!  We cheered super loud for her and then afterwards we went up and talked to her.  Anna was OBSESSED with her white horse and she was so sweet to let Anna come up and pick the horse and take a picture with her.  Too bad the flash was freakin' bright Anna's eyes closed haha


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures