A Day in Washington
After loving the bracelets he made while camping, Jackson decided to use his own money and buy himself a pack of those rubber bands. He was quite busy for the next few days, and finally used every last one! He's now down to wearing just two of them :)
So while my Mom was here, we were lucky enough to have Monday and Tuesday off of school. On Monday, we decided to spend the day in DC. For the first time we took the Metro in, which the kids were so excited about! Of course I felt motion sickness on the train, but what else is new? :)
It was really nice knowing I didn't have to find a parking garage and stuff like that. And I was pretty proud of myself for figuring out the maps and boards to know which train to take :) (it doesn't take much for me to proud of myself haha)
It was a cold day in DC, but I was happy it wasn't raining.
ha not quite sure what's going on with the boys in these photos
And it looks like Anna wanted to make a funny pose too-- silly kids :)
We decided to (once again) go to the Museum of Natural History. I really wanted to go to the American History museum. I know the kids would love to see some of the stuff there, but I let them decide. Before we went in, we had our sack lunches outside on some picnic tables.
As much as I wanted to see something else, this really is the perfect museum for kids. I thought that we would spend a couple of hours there and then see something else, but there was enough to keep our interest at this one for the whole day!
This time we went inside the butterfly exhibit. It was fun to be so close to so many beautiful butterflies (and to smell all of the fragrant flowers!), but I kept thinking of my friend Anne who is terrified of butterflies. I think Anna was a little freaked out by them as well, truth be told.
My favorite. I loved that the yellow butterfly was drinking nectar from the yellow flowers :)
Anna thought the termite tunnel was pretty fun.
But she wasn't too happy that Jackson was standing close to her :)
There was an exhibit about how scientists can learn about the early settlers of Virginia through their skeletal remains, and Anna was seriously obsessed with this video loop that showed one of those early settler women. She did not want to leave. I'm not sure what fascinated her about this lady, but it was kind of funny.
The Hope Diamond. I would be so stressed out if I ever wore something so expensive-- good thing I don't ever need to worry about that haha
I really loved the mineral and diamond exhibit. It was my first time seeing it. I especially loved looking at the collection of jewelery that was actually worn by the likes of Marie Antoinette and other members of royalty.
Grandmother spoiling them so more. They each picked out a little souvenir. It was fun to see them each pick so carefully.
Anna picked a little stuffed panda (that had a sucker attached to it which I think is what Anna really loved), Wyatt picked a little explorer play set, and Jackson picked out a bag of gemstones and rocks (I think he was still so excited about the panning we did on Saturday)
We finished off our long museum day with a 3D Imax showing of a Dinosaur movie. It was really interesting (not to mention the perfect length at around 40 minutes). The boys jumped in fright a lot, so I think it was good that Anna never kept her 3D glasses on. She definitely didn't get the whole effect!
Walking back to the Metro Station.
Of course we had to stop and pose a couple of times :) On the way home we finally picked up Erik's car at the airport that he left when he flew out for his hunting trip. I won't go into the whole, long story, but let me just say it was a true miracle we found his car!
Tuesday morning, I did my long run. First time doing 12 this year! Then we went to vote (I love the kids voting program they do here), we all ran a few errands and had dinner at Chipotle- yum!
. . . and two picture from my Mom's camera that I don't feel like moving :)
Comments