The Rest of the Visit
So I should mention something that definitely affected the visit my Mom and I had. Saturday morning I got word that a sweet lady in the ward, Michelle Rees, had passed away. This was truly shocking. She was only 40 years old. Mother to 8 children. Grandmother to one. She was one of the very first people that made me feel welcome in the ward. Three of her daughters were among my favorite babysitters (one is now on a mission, another living in Utah, and one Mia Maid left whom I still ask for babysitting jobs). Anyway, this of course was just such sad news. As a young women's leader I wanted to be there for Emily (the Mia Maid) and also I was worried about the joint YW lesson I was to teach that Sunday and what comfort we could give each other. So anyway, that kept me busy. It was good my Mom was here in a way, so that she could watch the kids while I did different things and while I went to the funeral on Wednesday. I hated the fact that Erik was out of cell phone reach, so he didn't even know about this for 7 days. He has a really good relationship with Michelle's teenage son, Michael. Anyway, her husband (whom just got home two days before she died from being a contractor in the middle east) and children will need lots of love and prayers for a long time. I can't imagine dealing with such a tragedy
So that changed some of our plans, but of course we still had a wonderful visit. When my Mom thought I was getting sick (Halloween night I went to bed with a really sore throat), she made me homemade chicken broth and noodle soup! Every single night, she made me a "dessert creation" (I have to call it a creation, because my Mom is so good at combining different delicious cookies and types of ice cream to make a dessert- yum!) She walked Jackson to and from school practically every day. She sat and read book after book with whichever kid wanted it. She taught Jackson how to play Monopoly (which is his new favorite game by the way), she helped me figure out the problems with my sewing machine, she did lots and lots of laundry when I didn't even realize!), she helped me make invitations for a church Thanksgiving dinner I was in charge of, and lots of other things that I'm forgetting I know!
My Mom and I stumbled across this book Jackson made one night after the kids were in bed. Anytime I'm feeling bad about myself I will re-read this book :)
I really can't remember the things that we went and "did" the rest of the week my Mom was here-- oh well. I know the day before she left we stopped by a realtor to check out homes that maybe (maybe? please?) my Mom and Dad could retire to. They look everywhere they go, and I'm sure they will end up in a place like Utah where the majority of their kids are, but it never hurts to dream!
Comments
your mom is wonderful...sounds like it was heavenly having her there...and seriously jenny you do so much for other people!