Cruise Part 1

Well, I have not caught up on my blog like I would have wished, so I'm just going to blog the cruise and then I will try and go back and blog about January and February. 
So Erik and I went on our first cruise together a couple of weeks ago! It was a crazy time to go on a cruise as we had just moved into our house like a week before, but we were still excited to go.  Especially because we were going with Brett and Amanda whom we had missed since leaving Virginia!
My Mom flew in on Wednesday night and unfortunately was sick! She kept hoping she would get better, but hadn't.  Derrick drove up to stay with her on Friday and he drove us to the airport that night.  And then on Saturday my Mom went to the doctor and she really was sick with bronchitis and early stages of pneumonia!  Derrick took care of the kids and then Kathryn drove up and took them to her house in Mapleton until Tuesday.  My Dad had always planned to fly to Utah on the Wednesday during our cruise to be with my Mom and to see his Mom in Sandy.  Now however, he flew out and was the main caretakers of the kids until we got back! I have to say this upped my anxiety about leaving the kids.  I knew they would always be taken care of, but I felt so bad for my Mom and it just wasn't the situation we all were planning on.  However, there really wasn't much I could do about anything.  I was only able to talk or email on the port days that we could find an internet cafĂ©.  But that was what was going on on home front.  I will post the pictures that Kathryn took of the kids' fun cousin weekend (and my kids did have a blast with them in Mapleton!) later.
But anyway, Erik and I flew on a red eye flight from SLC to Orlando (both times we had layovers in Orlando and honestly for someone that is Disney Parks obsessed, it was hard to just be in the Orlando airport without going to Disney World haha) then Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale, then a short 20 minutes bus ride to the port in Miami!  Erik is a lot better than I am about sleeping in any place, so he slept most of the flight.  I did get some sleep too though!

 

 

Our airplane that we took from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale was suuuper tiny! Luckily, I was loaded up on Dramamine and didn't sick at all.

 

This wax statue was seriously creeping me out when we were waiting for our bags.  I seriously couldn't figure out if it was a guy doing some weird performance piece or not.  Finally we figured it out that was indeed a wax statue.  Then we were laughing at all the people like us that were trying to stare at it without being rude, in case it was a real guy.


It was so exciting to finally get on the boat!  The paperwork said you couldn't check in until 4:00, but we had no problems checking in right when we go there around noon.

We then got some lunch and enjoyed the bright, warm sunshine! 
 

And enjoying the pretty view of Miami. 
 

And then we took a nap (first of many haha).  A couple of hours into it, the intercom started blabbing about a safety briefing, but I thought we could just continue our nap and not worry about it.  Nope!  A worker unlocked our door and came in to say that we HAD to go up to the safety meeting and he was like waiting for use to get out of bed and go haha

A quick pic of a corner of our room.  We were very happy and comfortable there!

Right as we were leaving Miami. 
 

 
First dinner of the cruise!


I loved seeing all of our different towel animals that were left on our bed.  And I should mention that each night I ate both chocolates, but then finally got a little nice on Thursday and asked Erik if I could have his and he asked, "Why are you asking now? I didn't even know we got them!"
haha in my defense, we usually saw the chocolates right after Erik got his final ice cream cone of the night (I wasn't a huge fan of the soft serve so usually passed on that treat) 
 

The next day was a day at sea, and we had a great time laying in the sun and reading.  Very relaxing!


 
We never found a good picture taking spot in terms of lighting.  This was our first "formal night" of the cruise.

 

OK, I may have passed on the soft serve,  but as you can see I had no trouble eating lots and lots of other desserts!  We usually ordered 6 desserts plus a pie and then would take a couple of bites from each.  :)

 

The entertainment on board was just OK.  Honestly, I think our Troupe Cabanas (which we did perform on a Carnival cruise my first year) was every bit as good if not better, because we had a couple of really really great singers with us and the talent on this cruise had just one really great singer.

Ice cream time! 
 

Every night they played a movie by the one of the pools.  It was fun to see, but we never wanted (or could) stay up so late to finish one.


'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures