Roatan (Cruist Part Three)

Next day was a stop in Roatan, Honduras.  To say Erik was excited about this stop was an understatement, because his mission covered this area of Honduras!  I was excited to wear my new swim cover up haha

The ship docked at Mahogany Bay, which is Carnival's own area and was very nice.

 

 

The first thing we did was look around the shops.  I loved picking up souvenirs for all of the kids at each stop we made!


 

We were really excited to see this iguana scampering around.







I didn't pack a sun hat, because I couldn't figure out how to stuff into my packed suitcases without squishing the shape out of it.  So, I bought one at the shops and was happy to have face coverage while I laid in the sun!

Like I said on instagram, Amanda and we were very happy to drink our cold drinks on the beach, but Erik really, really wanted to go into downtown Roatan and find himself a baleada (a Honduran burrito that he remembers loving).  Honduras is definitely not known for being safe.  In fact, in our daily cruise guide that day it warned of muggings of tourists that had taken place on a certain side of the island.  Erik assured me that we weren't going to that specific side, so we'd be just fine. :)

Honestly, I was pretty nervous about it until we found another couple from our cruise to share a taxi with.  Since the taxi waits for you the whole time, I knew we were all stuck together until we were safely back to port haha.  And this couple was so much fun to meet!  He was from Puerto Rico and she was from Scottland, but they we met and live in D.C.!  We had a fun time complaining about humid summers and then Erik and the guy talked about his time in Honduras and they spoke some Spanish to the taxi driver.  The driver took us all to what was probably the nicest local restaurant in Roatan.  And it was great! 

Typical buildings on the streets downtown.  The tops of the fences mostly had shards of broken glass as a sort of barbed wire!

Lunchtime!

 



My lunch was freakin' good too!  I had fried fish and fired plantains (I gave Erik my French fries, a girl can only eat so much fried food!).  I seriously want some right now.
Oh there was another fun couple we met at the restaurant.  They were from Jamaica and they had 19 year old quadruplet daughters!  The mom showed me a picture of them on her phone and they were gorgeous.  They live in L.A. and get jobs doing commercials as they try to break into show business.  Crazy!  I love meeting interesting people. :)

Shopping was an interesting experience in Roatan.  When we went into our first shop and asked if they had what I was looking for (a wallet for Wyatt and a doll for Anna were two things I knew I wanted), one of the guys in the store immediately said he didn't have it, but he would help us find it.  So he became our personal shopper.  Taking us from shop to shop and talking with each shop owner.  When he insisted on driving us in his car to a shop far away that he said had the items, I let it be known that was not going to happen!  So we were on our own until, yes once again, we unwittingly acquired a personal shopper to help us find things.  I think we paid more in tips to unwanted personal shoppers than on our items we bought.  The second personal shopper wanted to walk us far away (perhaps to the same shop now that I think of it!), and Erik immediately told him we just wanted to stay on the main streets.  Oh and one of them did help me find a wallet, but I was on my own for the doll and finally found right before we were due back at the taxi.




Erik was also excited about his bagged juice that brought back a lot of mission memories.

 

It was fun eating dinner right next to the window, but once again didn't help the picture taking lighting situation.

I was not able to capture a good picture of the sunset!

 


 

I was always jealous when Amanda wore the cruise robe to hot tub, and I always forgot.  So when I did remember, I was super excited! :)

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Weekend, Three Living Arraignments

21 Weeks

Pictures, Pictures