Oscar Time
The day after we came back from our cruise was Oscar Day! I was so excited that some of my family were planning on coming over. I don't feel like such a freak about movies and pop culture around my siblings because they are like me :)
This year I went ALL OUT and bought $10 worth of movie decoration from amazon :) I figured with how much time I spend in thinking about themed food for Oscar night I might as well have a couple decorations on the wall haha
Oh and this year since there was more than one reason in the running to win the Oscar pool (let's be honest, Erik has never beaten me), I bought first, second, and third place prizes. First place was this bamboo plant (to represent The Tale of Princess Kayuga) and the first pick of candy. Second prize won second pick of the candy and third prize won the remaining candy. There was steep competition, let me tell you! I think my Dad, Rebecca, Derrick, and myself were all leading the pack at a different point that night.
The remaining best animated picture nominees had a dish to represent them.
Do you remember when the aunt in Big Hero 6 makes Hiro wings??
Sea food for Song of the Sea, obviously.
How to Train Your Dragon needed an explanation. When googling different recipes for dragon fruit, I saw that Welch's had a dragon fruit juice blend! I knew that would be perfect and easy. Well, when I did my grocery shopping before the cruise, the store only carried these Welch's juices, but I just went with it anyway. Sometimes its the spirit of the thing ;)
The character in The Boxtrolls (which I still haven't seen!) wears a box that says "Eggs" on it.
Ballots all ready to go!
The pre-show!
Derrick! Well I will cut to the chase and let you know, that Derrick and I ended up tying for first crazily enough! For a tie breaker, Derrick showed me an app called Quiz Up that you can challenge people on a variety of topics. Naturally we picked the Oscars category and I won- Oh yeah! I have to say I was pretty excited to keep that bamboo plant :)
I loved seeing Anna and Josh playing together.
The next day I drove my parents to the airport. Again, I am so thankful that they were willing to come out and watch the kids. I am such a lucky girl.
There are so many deer out at dusk here, its crazy!
For Family Home Evening that night, we went to the splash pad and I thought it was so funny how impressed and amazed the kids were when Erik laid down in the pool :)
Oh and I couldn't believe what bad shape Wyatt's shoes were in. Gotta love zappos (again!) in times like these. I don't have to take the kids to try on shoes (the worst) and I get free next day shipping-- oh and free returns to return whatever didn't fit.
Comments