To Catch A Leprechaun
Since we have a family member with a birthday on St. Patrick's Day, we didn't make a terribly big deal out of it. I do think it's a fun little holiday though, so we did a couple of simple things to mark it. In the morning, I put some corned beef and veggies in the slow cooker and made some Irish Soda Bread. Later that afternoon, I took the kids to JC Penny, so Anna could get some pictures taken (I spent a total of 8 bucksfor 1 8x10 and 4 5x7s- wahoo!), we didn't get back until 5:30 and I was starving. Too starving to make cook the cabbage, so this year we were cabbage-less. I'm pretty sure I was the only one who cared.
That night we set up our Leprechaun trap according to one of the books we had checked out from the library. Our convesations kept circling back to this one:
Jackson: Mom, are leprechauns real?
Me: What do you think Jackson?
Jackson: I think . . . they aren't. No, they are!
Mom, are leprechauns real?
And around and around we would go :)
The children's book was very specific with the trap: a bit of tea (blueberry herbal, yum), some Irish soda bread, a pair of shoes, circled about by green frosting. For the life of me, I cannot remember what the shoes have to do with it, and since it was a library book I couldn't find out. Jackson and Wyatt were very insistent on keeping the shoes in the trap though.
The trap must have worked, because little footprints were found on the table in the morning, leading up to this note:
The gold coins were gobbled up by Jackson and Wyatt before I even got out of bed at 6:45.
When I came downstairs the boys exclaimed, "Mom a real leprechaun came last night!" Then Jackson asked me why I dipped my finger in the green and put it all over the table. Haha, I think he knows . . .
Comments